Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God (Heb 12:1-2, ESV).
Founded - 1883
Gaston Baptist Church was organized on August 18, 1883, by the Rev. W. L. Skinner and the Rev. W. G. Thompson with thirty people.
Gaston Purchased Property
Gaston Baptist Church purchased the land and building of the Ebenezer Presbyterian Church in February 1903.
The Ebenezer Presbyterian Church had been founded in 1854, and was named Ebenezer in honor of Ebenezer Gaston.
New Sanctuary - 1944
Gaston built a new sanctuary in 1944 to replace the building they built in 1904 after buying the property from the Ebenezer Presbyterian Church. The current office building is the sanctuary built in 1944.
In 1953, Pastor Hayward Moore led the church to become full-time. Until then, the church had been part of a triple church territory, meeting only once or twice a month.
In 1960, the church built the first educational space for Sunday School, which had had grown to 169 people.
A bigger sanctuary was built in 1962, allowing more space for growing worship and Sunday School attendance. That building is our current Fellowship Hall building.
Family Life Center
A Family Life Center along with a tennis court were constructed in 1977.
During the 1980's and 1990's, the church purchased 11 acres for future expansion, and built an educational building to give more room for preschool and children's classrooms.
In 2004, the church voted to break ground on a 720 seat sanctuary, which was completed in 2005.